The Hacker Voice Community Forums: UK Test lines - The Hacker Voice Community Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UK Test lines

#1 User is offline   BC 

• About as friendly as a Lion with its tail pulled...
  • Group: THV Members
  • Location:My Telecommando lair plugged into the socket making modem noises with my cheeks.
  • Operating System:Vista and BT3
  • Ninja or Pirate?:Pirate

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

In this short and sweet article, I will discuss the line test facilities that I am aware of. This not in full and will never be fully complete because to be honest, I've no idea on some of the functions that each test carries. Below are the ones I am aware of and their basic function and no more than that.

1. 17070
2. 175 "SALT test facility"
3. ISDN2e
4. ISDN30e "iFax" test line

I will begin with 17070 as I am most familiar with it. So lets get to it.

17070 is the main PSTN test service for residential and business lines that arent running on ISDN.
It is accessable from all phones currently connected to the PSTN including payphones (although on some COCOT's you may find it blocked) Access to it is controlled by the requirement of an engineers phone number which most people don't have access to. So lets get to it...

Upon dialling 17070 you will be immediatley answered by "This circuit is defined as <enter your number here>". This in itself is very handy as obviously it will reveal the number you're calling from. After this preamble you will be given a number of options, on the old system it used to offer ring back, on the new 17070 this is no longer present, you also have the option for "silent line" which enables you to listen for crosstalk and line noise.

You also have extended options, without going too much into depth you can do a number of things from 17070 with the correct password including add tones to lines, temporarily disable lines whilst it tests and a whole plethora of other options including "frames jump check" which will test your ADSL line to ensure the rob bits are going across ok. You dont neccesarily need to be at the the line to test it too, when selecting a test it will always ask you for a "National UK number" to test, this can be any number you choose.

As recently as May 2009 there have been some new facilities added, I'm not aware of what these do I can only assume they're for testing BT's new 21CN facilities.
Also be aware if you're using LLU phone service they dont subscribe to the standard 17070 I know for a fact on talktalk 17070 is just an ANAC.

175 SALT test facility

This is a relativly obscure system that is only implemented on the older System X switches (in the UK we have 3 switch types System X, System Y and 21CN switches) Initially you simply dial 175, if it is enabled on your exchange it will put you through, if it isnt then you will get an NIS intercept or from a payphone "barred number"

If it has worked it will go dead, you will hang up and it will call you back. It will then once answered, answer you with a series of beeps, these indicate a succesful test. SALT is very limited in what it can do these and these day's is rare to encounter. There are a ton of references on what you can and can't do, go read them they're worth reading if even only for nostalgia purposes.

More will follow shortly when a friend of mine signs up and posts it. I will chase him up and perform various methods of torture on him until he does smiley_abused.gif
BC

#2 User is offline   Lark1 

• Noob
  • Group: Members
  • Operating System:*
  • Ninja or Pirate?:Ninja

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

any chance of getting your mate to sign up and post that other info on this? smile.gif

#3 User is offline   BC 

• About as friendly as a Lion with its tail pulled...
  • Group: THV Members
  • Location:My Telecommando lair plugged into the socket making modem noises with my cheeks.
  • Operating System:Vista and BT3
  • Ninja or Pirate?:Pirate

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (Lark1 @ Jan 28 2011, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
any chance of getting your mate to sign up and post that other info on this? smile.gif

Its being worked on smiley_abused.gif

BC

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users